We Can Count By Tens
Music Therapy skip counting videos & songs for special needs individuals.
Goal 1: Client will skip count by 10s up to 100.
Goal 2: Client will skip count objects (blocks) by 10s up to 100.
Goal 3: Client will skip count money (cents and dollars) by 10s up to 100.
Domains: Academics, Math
Counting by a number other than one (and skipping the numbers in between) is called skip counting. In this case we are skip counting by tens. This project contains videos featuring numbers, counting blocks, ten-dollar bills, and dimes.
Numbers: If your student is able to rote count from 1 to 10 and knows their digits 0 through 9, then they are ready to move on to 2-digit numbers and beyond. Opportunities are given for students to sing along, sing independently, match the numbers, and place the numbers in the correct sequence independently.
Counting Blocks: These are a great resource and, if you don’t have some already, I recommend you get some. Using these manipulatives really aids in understanding of what is being accomplished through skip counting. If you don’t have your own counting blocks, printable visuals are included to practice skip counting on templates with and without numbers.
Ten-Dollar Bills: Everyone loves money. This is a little easier for students to grasp than dimes, because each bill features the word and number 10. Possible activities include giving the student a limited amount of bills and asking how much money they have. (The song can be stopped as an auditory cue when they run out of dollars.) Or a specific cost to purchase a choice can be requested.
Dimes: These videos can be used to teach that each dime is worth ten cents or, if that is already known, how to count up to ten dimes. Printed templates with and without numbers are included and my personal preference is to use real dimes for this activity. I frequently make a menu of instruments that students can buy for a variety of prices.
- 12 videos [mp4 video files]
- We Can Count By Tens – Numbers
- We Can Count By Tens – Numbers (model)
- We Can Count By Tens – Numbers (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Tens – Blocks
- We Can Count By Tens – Blocks (model)
- We Can Count By Tens – Blocks (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Tens – Dollars
- We Can Count By Tens – Dollars (model)
- We Can Count By Tens – Dollars (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Tens – Cents
- We Can Count By Tens – Cents (model)
- We Can Count By Tens – Cents (fill-in-the-blank)
- 3 songs [mp3 audio files]
- We Can Count By Tens
- We Can Count By Tens (model)
- We Can Count By Tens (fill-in-the-blank)
- 8 printable visuals [PDF]
- Smiley Faces
- Blocks with Numbers
- Blocks without Numbers
- Dollars with Numbers
- Dollars without Numbers
- Cents with Numbers
- Cents without Numbers
- lyrics [PDF]
- lyrics & chords [PDF]