We Can Count By Fives
Music Therapy skip counting videos & songs for special needs individuals.
Goal 1: Client will skip count by 5s up to 100.
Goal 2: Client will skip count objects (fingers) by 5s up to 100.
Goal 3: Client will skip count money (dollars and cents) by 5s up to 100.
Domains: Academics, Math
Counting by a number other than one (and skipping the numbers in between) is called skip counting. In this case we are skip counting by fives. This project contains videos featuring numbers, fingers, five-dollar bills, and nickels.
Numbers: If your student is able to rote count from 1 to 10 and knows their digits 0 through 9, then they are ready to move on to 2-digit numbers. Opportunities are given for students to sing along, sing after a verbal model, sing independently, match the numbers, and place the numbers in the correct sequence independently.
Fingers: A readily available visual aid! Using fingers can really assist students in understanding what is being accomplished through skip counting. 1 hand = 5 fingers makes it easier to comprehend that 1 nickel = 5 cents and 1 five-dollar bill = 5 dollars. Use the fingers you have available in your classroom or the printable visuals on templates with and without numbers.
Five-Dollar Bills: Everyone loves money. This is a little easier for students to grasp than nickels, because each bill features the word FIVE and number 5. Possible activities include giving the student a specific amount of bills and asking how much money they have. (The song can be stopped as an auditory cue when they run out of dollars.) Or a specific price to earn a choice can be established.
Nickels: These videos can be used to teach that each nickel is worth five cents or, if that is already known, how to count up to twenty nickels. Printed templates with and without numbers are included as well as printable nickels, but my personal preference is to use real nickels for this activity. I frequently make a menu of instruments that students can purchase for a variety of prices.
- 12 videos [mp4 video files]
- We Can Count By Fives – Numbers
- We Can Count By Fives – Numbers (model)
- We Can Count By Fives – Numbers (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Fives – Fingers
- We Can Count By Fives – Fingers (model)
- We Can Count By Fives – Fingers (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Fives – Dollars
- We Can Count By Fives – Dollars (model)
- We Can Count By Fives – Dollars (fill-in-the-blank)
- We Can Count By Fives – Cents
- We Can Count By Fives – Cents (model)
- We Can Count By Fives – Cents (fill-in-the-blank)
- 3 songs [mp3 audio files]
- We Can Count By Fives
- We Can Count By Fives (model)
- We Can Count By Fives (fill-in-the-blank)
- 8 printable visuals [PDF]
- No Numbers
- Fingers with Numbers
- Fingers without Numbers
- Dollars with Numbers
- Dollars without Numbers
- Cents with Numbers
- Cents without Numbers
- lyrics [PDF]
- lyrics & chords [PDF]